West Yorkshire Senior Occupational Health Advisor SOHA United Kingdom via Workplace Doctors on a fixed term / permanent basis.
***Grade: Senior Occupational Health Advisor
***Speciality: Occupational Health
***Location: West Yorkshire United Kingdom
***Duration: Fixed Term / Permanent
***Pay Rate: £Negotiable (dependent on experience £32, 952 to £44,038)
***Start Date: Flexible
***NMC Registration Required (Nursing & Midwifery Council) Essential
***Degree in Occupational Health
To assist the Occupational Health Manager manage and provide professional clinical leadership and support to the Occupational Health Department for our client based in West Yorkshire
- To develop workplace health and wellbeing strategies within the trust. To assist the Occupational Health Manager progress the Trust’s application for accreditation under SEQOHS.
- To promote adherence to occupational health policies and procedures
- To ensure the delivery of an effective and appropriate specialist Occupational Health Service, available for all staff of the hospital.
- To assist with occupational health clinics, clinical caseload and management referrals.
- To manage a caseload and provide specialist clinical advice on work-related health issues
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- To make clinical and ethical decisions based upon personal professional knowledge and experience.
- To assist the Occupational Health Consultant and Occupational Health manager with their caseload as necessary
- To provide clinical and professional leadership to members of the team.
- To ensure that employee ‘fitness to work’ assessments are undertaken following management referrals. Following assessment, written feedback will be sent to managers, human resources and the employee as appropriate.
- To undertake risk assessment for Blood Borne Viruses (BBV) and provide all aspects of care in accordance with Trust policy.
- To work with other related services such as the Moving and Handling team.
- To carry out workplace risk assessments and site visits, and provide feedback to management, making suitable recommendations for equipment purchase or changes to working practice as appropriate.
- To progress the work undertaken towards SEQOHS accreditation and to ensure the department works at all times within the standards of accreditation.
- Manage vaccination clinics as required, and administer vaccinations in accordance with Occupational Health protocols.
- To provide a comprehensive pre-employment heath assessment service including health interviews, requesting specialist / GP reports as required ; making assessment of fitness for post for all employees of the Trust.
- Where appropriate, to advise managers, staff and committees on staff health and wellbeing issues.
- To ensure that accurate staff health data is entered onto the Occupational Health computerised database (e-OPAS), in line with Codes of Professional Practice, data protection and patient confidentiality.
- To ensure that laboratory reports are interpreted and responded to in accordance with immunisation protocols and that clients are referred for specialist support as required
- To devise specific rehabilitation programmes for the individuals returning to the workplace following periods of ill health. Liaising with managers and human resources and reviewing as appropriate.
- To provide advice to managers and human resources regarding ‘reasonable adjustments’ ensuring Trust compliance with legislation such as the Health and Safety at Work Act etc. 1974 and the Equality Act 2010.
- To help ensure the Occupational Health Service meets the demands of the Trust.
- To assist the Occupational Health Manager manage the departments clinical caseload
- To assist in the management and support the Occupational Health Advisors and clinic nurses.
- Actively promote and develop health and wellbeing initiatives across the trust in accordance with the Department of Health strategies e.g. CQUINS and the Trusts Health and Wellbeing Strategy.
- To assist the Occupational Health Manager audit departmental practices in line with accreditation standards and other guidelines.
- When required, to represent the department and the Trust at meetings both internal and external e.g. Occupational Health Nurse Groups and the Trust’s Health, Safety and Environment Committee.
- To help ensure specialist equipment is maintained appropriately.
- To take part in the selection and recruitment of new staff.
- To develop relationships with other occupational health units and to link in with local and national occupational health groups.
- To collaborate with other relevant Trust departments, e.g. Infection Control
- To help develop occupational health services in accordance with Trust needs.
- To assist with yearly staff appraisals and develop personal development plans
- In association with Occupational Health Consultant and Occupational Health Manager to develop and review relevant Trust-wide policies and procedures and to contribute to the development of in-house protocols
- To promote the specialist role of occupational health within the Trust and to external organisations.
Health Surveillance, Education & Promotion
- To assist the Occupational Health Manager, to manage and develop health surveillance programmes, based on risk assessment and in accordance with relevant legislation.
- To help organise and run staff health events.
- In liaison with the Occupational Health Consultant and Occupational Health manager to provide advice on the management of health in the case of health incidents, disease outbreak, or other relevant heath emergency.
- To ensure that the Trust’s Occupational Health and Safety Policies are implemented.
- To provide advice and support across the Trust on occupational health matters and services.
- To assist the Occupational Health Manager to provide reports concerning occupational health activity and performance e.g. to the Trust’s Health, Safety and Environment Committee.
- To lead on workplace health and wellbeing and encourage good health practice amongst all health staff. To actively participate in health promotion/education initiatives e.g. the seasonal flu vaccination programme and to ensure the achievement of Government targets e.g. CQUINS
- To liaise and work with the Infection Control Department in the event of an outbreak of an infectious disease requiring contact tracing.
Training & Advise
- To advise managers on the fitness to work of employees.
- To ensure that training and advice are provided to staff and other departments as required e.g. on Trust induction.
- To advise relevant managers and staff regarding return and phased return to work.
- To liaise with the Human Resources Department.
- To refer to other departments as appropriate, e.g. physiotherapy referrals.
This job description is an indication of the type and range of tasks that are expected of the post holder – it should be used as a guideline only. It will be reviewed and amended from time to time in consultation with the post holder to take account of changing organisational need.
****Excellent knowledge and experience of experience of occupational health work in industry or commerce
****Experience of managing work related health conditions and immunisation programmes
****Evidence of further professional development within the field of Occupational Health
****Good knowledge of health and wellbeing
****Knowledge of employment law relevant to occupational health
**** Reliable and self-motivated
****Ability to manage own workload and act on own initiative and to work autonomously
****Ability to stay calm under pressure
****Registered Nurse Accredited specialist (OH) to degree level on part 3 of NMC register
**** Minimum of 3 years’ experience within Occupational Health setting
****Good team player
****Excellent interpersonal skills
****Adaptable to change
****Full UK Driving License
****Clear understanding & application of the principles of professional accountability and confidentiality within specialist field.
Workplace Doctors is a recruitment agency that offers locum, fixed term and permanent medical jobs for doctors, nurses & AHP medical professionals.
Nurse & Midwifery Guide to Working in the UK – Click here
Call us today on +44 (0)1234 889213 to discuss this vacancy or email your CV with your NMC registration to firstname.lastname@example.org You are able to apply online (see below)